As much as I love vacationing I also really love my daily routines and rituals. They help keep me clear, centred, grounded, focused, connected with my values and they spark joy throughout my day.
When we travel we basically go out of our comfort zone, so providing ourselves with extra comfort is key.
So many things can easily get out of our control and change while traveling, therefor it's good to get to know your top 3 or 5 things that make you feel good and must - haves that support you with all that.
The 3 top things for me are maintaining my yoga practice in the mornings, getting enough greens and veg and sleep (really need my sleep, without it I'm useless!).
So here are my top 10 travel essentials:
1. Yoga mat - well, you probably predicted this one. Starting my morning with my yoga practice makes my vacation more joyful, it grounds me, it helps me set an intention for the day and it keeps me connected to my intuition (which also helps me make food choices from a place of confidence).
2. Dry brush and tongue scraper - both don't take much space in the luggage and they make me feel so happy knowing I am taking care of my body (even when I'm totally out of my healthy routine). If you are not familiar with these rituals check out this blog post.
3. A selection of my favourite teas - talking about comfort! having my favourite teas while traveling is such a simple way to have a self care moment at the end of the day. Digestion teas (lemon, ginger, fennel, anise...) are also great to aid your digestion after a big meal.
4. Books - I am sure it's on your list too! I just made a new habit for myself I wanted to share with you: on vacation, I read only for pleasure! No 'work', 'research' books...
5. Chia seeds + a mix of superfoods - whether we airbnb or stay at a hotel... hotel breakfasts are not always my cup of tea. When I travel for longer periods I might take my Nutribullet, but if it's only for a week or two an easy option I enjoy having on some mornings is my chia yogurt. Here's the recipe: 1. Mix 2 tbsp chia seeds in water (or plant based milk) and allow to soak for about 5 -10 min (keep mixing). 2. Add coconut yogurt or goat/sheep yogurt, mix. 3. Top with your favourites, such as - ground flaxseed, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, walnuts, desiccated coconut, goji berries, etc. If you have some fresh fruit you can add some as well.
6. Journal - I don't force myself to use it, only if I feel inspired to write... specially if I am going on vacation after a busy period I usually find it nice to make the space to think and reflect.
7. Sport gear - I won't be surprised if it's on your list as well! I love exploring new places on foot and staying active while sightseeing! Most major cities offer active tours — everything from running to walking to biking to hiking and if you are not in a city and surrounded by nature, well - even better!
8. Digestive enzymes - when you travel, you are eating at different times, different foods, most likely at restaurants who use different oils and styles of cooking. Digestive enzymes are a lifesaver for anyone who struggles with their bowl movements.
9. Magnesium - I often struggle to fall asleep in new environments and different mattresses (not to speak of different time zones). Magnesium is an anti-stress mineral. It helps optimize circulation and blood pressure, balance blood sugar, relax tense muscles, reduce pain, and calm the nervous system (I personally recommend Calm). Have 1 tsp of calm magnesium in you chamomile tea (which is also shown to calm the muscles and nervous system) before bedtime.
10. Essential oils - Lavender - calming, relaxing and improves sleep. Breathe in the aroma, or put a couple of drops on your pillow so that you breathe in the calming aroma as you fall asleep.
Peppermint - good for nausea, headaches, cooling and refreshing after a long flight. Inhale straight off a hot towel when you need a refreshment or a pick-me-up. If you get the sniffles or congestion, put a few drops of peppermint in a bowl with hot water, place a towel over your head and inhale the aroma. For headaches a dab on each temple will do the work and for nausea - dab a drop of peppermint behind each ear to prevent motion sickness.
Hope you found some of my travel essentials helpful :-)
If you want to read my tips for staying healthy on vacation click HERE.